1 What does F & F stand for?

F & F stands for France and Flanders. This was the main British theatre of operations in the Great War.

2 I have a badge/button/picture of a uniform. To what regiment does it belong?

I am afraid we cannot help you here. We recommend you contact:

The Curator, The National War Museum of Scotland, The Castle, Edinburgh, EH1 2NG

3 I cannot find the name of an individual recorded in the Rolls of Honour. Why is this so?

There are errors and omissions from the Rolls of Honour.  Record-keeping 100 years ago was not what it is today and names are still being added to the Rolls of Honour through the course of history.

4 Can I have a name added to the Rolls of Honour?

Given the length of time since the ending of both the First and Second World Wars, the Trustees hoped that there has been ample time for the immediate families of casualties to request that their names be added to, or existing entries be amended in the various Rolls of Honour. Bearing in mind that it is and was the wish of the immediate family of the casualty that was paramount; they had previously restricted such request entitlement to the immediate relations of a casualty.

Recent evidence has shown that the Rolls of Honour are neither complete nor wholly accurate: Thus, whilst the Trustees will always accept applications for additions (and amendments) directly from close relatives (father or mother, husband or wife, son or daughter, nephew, niece, grandchild etc.), the scope for submission has widened.

In each instance, the application must be accompanied by a signed statement that the applicant is the closest next of kin of the casualty, or specify the relationship to the person honoured.

The Trustees will consider a request which comes from the Regimental Headquarters of the casualty’s regiment [or current successor Regiment] or for members of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines and the Royal Air Force, from the Officer in Charge of the relevant Records Office. In exceptional circumstances, applications from bona fide colleagues or researchers can be submitted for consideration.

Should the casualty have been killed in the armed forces of one of the former Dominions then the request should normally be made by an executive of the appropriate national ex-Serviceman’s organisation (such as the Australian Returned Servicemen’s League).

If a casualty is listed on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website they must also meet the eligibility criteria for the Scottish National War Memorial (listed below) to be considered for inclusion on the Roll of Honour. In all cases the applicant is responsible for providing full documentary proof of the casualty’s service to support the application and similar documentary proof that the serviceman or woman has been accepted as a war casualty by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Documentary proof that the subject, or either natural parent, was born in Scotland is essential where the individual has not served in a Scottish Regiment. This proof should take the form of an extract from the Register of Births. In some circumstances, two consecutive census records spanning the period of the individual's birth may provide sufficient evidence for acceptance.

Applications should be sent via post to the the Chief Executive, SNWM, The Castle, Edinburgh, EH1 2YT, with all documentary evidence attached. Applications may also be sent via email to Please note that where multiple applications are being made, each one should be sent in a separate email with all documentary evidence attached in PDF or JPEG format. Applications which arrive without supporting evidence will not be considered.

The Scottish Regiments today comprise The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (formerly Royal Scots Greys), Scots Guards and The Royal Regiment of Scotland (incorporating Royal Scots, Royal Scots Fusiliers, King’s Own Scottish Borderers, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), Black Watch, Highland Light Infantry, Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders)

An application form is available from the Scottish National War Memorial Office.

Before submitting a request for an addition to the Roll of Honour, please check via the SNWM searchable database that the individual is not already included in our records. Searching by Service Number is often the most effective way to carry out this preliminary search


Eligibility Criteria for inclusion in the SNWM Rolls of Honour.

Casualties are recorded in the SNWM Rolls of Honour if they were a member of the Armed Forces of the Crown or of the Merchant Navy and were a Scot, or served in a Scottish Regiment, and was killed or died as a direct result of a wound, injury or disease sustained:

In a Theatre of Operations for which a medal has been awarded; or

  1. whilst on duty in aid of the Civil Power; or
  2. whilst on duty in a foreign country under direct orders of the Crown.

Furthermore, the following groups of casualties are eligible for inclusion:

Scottish civilians who died as a result of enemy action.

Dates of Conflicts. Where casualties as defined above died during or as a result of the First or Second World Wars, the qualifying dates are casualties who died between:

Deaths occurring out with the qualifying periods above will only be regarded as eligible in exceptional circumstances, if all available documentary and other evidence including Death Certificates show that death was the direct result of the wound or injury sustained, or disease contracted on active duty within the qualifying periods.

In 2024 the criteria have been amended to also include those RN and RAF personnel based in Scotland at the time of their death.  This is applicable to casualties from 2024 onwards and not retrospectively. 

5 One of my ancestors was born in/served in/was in detention in Edinburgh Castle. Please tell me more about him.

Sorry we cannot help you here as we do not know of the existence any records of past garrisons of Edinburgh Castle.

6 When I look up an individual with a particular Army number, I find several records. Why is this?

Because originally, soldiers were issued with regimental numbers, so several soldiers in different regiments could have the same number. It was only later that army wide numbers were introduced. We do not know when the army wide system was introduced.

You may have noticed that we cannot answer some of the questions we are posed. However, we often know which organisation can help you. This next section summarises areas where we need to refer you to outside agencies:

7 Where was an individual was killed or buried?

If you wish to find out where an individual was killed or buried, we recommend that you contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commisssion (CWGC) directly at

8 What activity was an individual involved at the time of death?

Invaluable source of information about units or individuals are Regimental War Diaries. These often record the details of individuals’ deaths.

War Diaries. War diaries can be traced, or are held at:

The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU

Regimental Histories. Regimental Histories can be located through:

Army Museums Ogilby Trust, 59 The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1 2EX

or from:

The Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, London, SE1 6HZ

9 Medals.

All queries regarding medals should be referred to:

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, MOD Medal Office, Building 250, Imjin Barracks, Gloucester, GL3 1HW

10 General Enquiries about an individual’s military service.

We cannot answer generic questions about individuals’ military service. You would need access to service records, which to the best of our knowledge are held as follows:

Royal Navy

Officers born before 1914 and Ratings enlisted before 1924:

The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU

Officers and Other Ranks enlisted after 1925:

Historical Records Office Royal Marines, Centurion Building, Grange Road,

Gosport, Hampshire, PO13 9XA


Officers or soldiers who service ended before 1921:

The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.

Officers and soldiers whose service ended between 1921 and 1997 [less Foot Guards]:

Army Personnel Centre, Historical Disclosures, Mail Point 400, Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX.

Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended after 1997 [less Foot Guards]:

Army Personnel Centre, Disclosures Section 1, Mail Point 520, Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX

Officers and Soldiers of the Foot Guards Regiments:

Regimental Headquarters, ***** Guards, Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London,

(***** insert Grenadier, Coldstream, Scots, Irish or Welsh as appropriate)

Royal Air Force

Officers whose service ended in 1920 or earlier and Airmen whose service ended in 1928 or earlier:

The National Archives, Ruskin Avenue, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU

Officers whose service ended in 1920 or later and Airmen whose service ended in 1928 or later:

PMA (Sec ) IM 1 b, Room 5, Building 248 a, RAF Innsworth, Gloucester, GL3 1EZ

Scots at War Trust

You may also find information about individuals or units through the "Scots at War Trust" website. The Trust concerns itself with native Scots, those of Scots heritage, men and women who served in Scottish or Commonwealth Scottish units and those who served in Scotland, or in Scottish waters, during the

11 Can I have a correction made to an entry in the Rolls of Honour?

Potentially. We would first need to see the individual’s service record. To obtain a service record see 10 above.